Sunday, November 17, 2013

Gun Culture

The "American" experience of gun culture is not monolithic. Rural and sub-rural hunting culture, militia culture, self-defense culture and crime culture all represent distinct cultural interactions with firearms.

People often don't understand when I start a conversation by saying that I grew up around guns and a gun culture, then respond to their question "Oh, you hunt?" with - "No, I'm from New York City".

"Oh, " they reply uncomfortably.

The difference between gun racks on the back of a pickup and metal detectors in public high schools is a wide one. Experience shapes thought, thought shapes reality.

I am torn on the gun debate in this sense; I know firsthand the devastation caused by the presence of firearms in the Black communities of America. I also comprehend, intellectually and instinctively, that guns change the course of history, and a world where only state security agents possess the rights, and means, to utilize firearms is not a world I want to live in.

So I guess I'll continue as a gun owner who criticizes gun culture and live with the dichotomy. Or the hypocrisy. Whichever.

No comments:

Post a Comment